Pages

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The Alphabet

I have been trying for a very, VERY long time (well ok, maybe it just seems that way to me) to get Jackson to sing.  Anything.  He won't.   On occasion he will ask Frank or I to sing and he is very specific as to what he wants to hear and who he wants to hear it from.  Typically my 'singing time' with him is in the car on the way to work in the morning.  He can't escape me, so I belt out everything from children's songs and nursery rhymes, to Broadway, to anything the music teacher and/or the free spirit in me feels like singing.  Sometimes I am received with "STOP MOMMY, STOP", or "sing it again, Mommy", but he never joins in.  Not EVER.  Not to Elmo's Song, The Mickey Mouse Clubhouse Theme, Caillou's Song, Hot Potato (one of our very favorites because it's flexibility the opportunity for unending creativity),  not even the ABC's.   So the other day I decided to implore a little bit.

 "Do you want to sing?"
 "No."
  "Why don't you want to sing"

Silence...we stop at a light and I look back at him to see him pouting.  He really looks like he is contemplating this one.... I include an encouraging

"You can do it!"
"NO!  Mommy Sing!"
"O.K. what should I sing?"
(spoken very quickly) "ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ...YOU DO IT MOMMY!"

Imagine my shock....I just kept driving mouth open, stunned.  He has never even once attempted to sing the alphabet let alone say the entire thing, or even repeat us letter for letter in a very long time.  WTF?????  Still in disbelief I did the only thing I could do.....I sang the alphabet.

That is the way this kid works.  Taking it all in....contemplating the weight of the world.....





I love you little independent minded, strong-willed son of mine.

1 comment: