Pages

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Cloth Cutie

Recently there was an article in Mothering Magazine recently about cloth diapers. It discussed pros and cons of cloth diapering and also gave a very convincing summary of how cloth is...well just plain better. (Note that I did not say easier). Better for the environment, better for your baby, and better looking too. The prospect of using cloth had entered my mind on numerous occasions. However, just as fast as it entered it quickly left. I was uneducated and not quite willing to see how the benefits of using cloth outweighed our beloved Target brand diapers (effective, cute and CHEAP). After reading, or at least trying to read, the article in Mothering several times, I was struck with utter mind boggling confusion but yet curiosity about this seemingly archaic way of caring for your baby. *Sad side note - I was also strongly affected by something that I read about a dog eating a disposable diaper and dying from it.

First of all, there are numerous different brands and types of cloth diapers, some with extremely cute names and designs (first peeked my curiosity). There are AIO (all-in-one) diapers, prefolds, pocket diapers and a plethora of diaper covers in every color, fabric and pattern you could possible imagine. Can you say ultra stylish baby? Needless to say, I felt so overwhelmed that it literally took me several weeks to sort through it all with the help of the internet and the AWESOME moms group that I belong to. I quickly began to learn that it seems like each mom has there own motivation for cloth diapering. Of course we all want "what is best" for our baby, ie. no harsh chemicals next to the delicate skin of our precious little angels, but some are propelled by obligation to their own environmental beliefs, health reasons, a love for organic products (which by the way all cloth diapers are not), cost effectiveness or love of fashion. Well, in case you are dying to know, I fall into the later of the categories with undertones of feeling like I should not be filling a landfill with poop that will take one hundreds years or more to break down.

So this is what I did. After posing the question to my mom's group and having all of the cloth followers share their wisdom I decided to 'try it' (tentatively...with no obligation.....at all.....). I bought one Thirsties duo diaper cover and tried it with some prefolds that I had at home that we had previously used for burp cloths. I quickly learned a few things. First, cloth diapering is all about trial and error, finding what you prefer and what works best for you. Second, babies in cloth feel wetter....quicker, could be good or bad depending on the age of your child and your beliefs about potty training but that is a discussion for another day. Third, it is SO EASY! Shockingly easy! Much much much much easier than I ever thought. Fourth, Jackson looks SO CUTE in the diaper....I was hooked. And finally, fifth, I had to get me some more of these diapers!


I still say, to each his own. For right now we (well I, Frank is coming along very slowly) are taking it one step at a time. Since we still have a very limited supply of the 'good stuff' we are only partially cloth diparing, mainly when I am at home with the Bub. The rest of the time we are still relying on good old dependable Target. Step by step for the parents and for this little guy too.






Modeling the duo diaper


Loungin' in a comfy diaper


extra padding for comfortable lap sitting


1 comment:

  1. This article and pics are ADORABLE!!! I am still contemplating our switch or at least partial switch to cloth..I am both broke and lazy, so.....and we are also using the Target brand pull ups currently, although I suddenly feel really guilty for loving them!! :)

    ReplyDelete