Pages

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Playin' In The Kitchen (again)

I read an article this morning about how difficult it can be to be a toddler and it really made me think.  Toddlers live in a world of mystery.  They are learning and exploring through, just about everything, they do.  They find excitement in the things that we simply find an inconvenience.  They find joy in what we might find annoying or bothersome.  What is the harm in taking all of the pots and pans and Tupperware, and every other kitchen item out of a cabinet and spreading it all over the floor to play in it?  Who does it hurt?  Why does it bother people so much?  (I know and understand the answer to that last one....I, just like the rest of you am really tired of cleaning up after everybody else.) I am speaking on a grander spectrum I suppose.

It was worth the three minutes it took me to clean up, to watch him occupy himself for 25 minutes while I cooked dinner.  Him laughing and experimenting with all of the wondrous sounds that the lid of a pot can make, banging against a spoon, the floor, the pot, while I side step the containers and lids and pans to grab the olive oil.  What does it hurt?  Why are we always so quick to say "not right now".  I try really hard never to stifle his creativity, even when it is an inconvenience for me.  Sometimes it is easy to be patient and sometimes it is downright difficult and trying.  But, I always try remind myself to look through my sons eyes.  He doesn't see that is a mess, he sees FUN.  Well, I think we all need a little fun in our lives.




I am proud to say that I read that article after this had occurred and it made me feel really good!  I want him to be independent and confident and if playing in the kitchen is a step towards that then so be it!

No comments:

Post a Comment