Pages

Friday, May 7, 2010

My (Crazy) Stage Debut.....Kind Of



You're A Good Man Charlie Brown was a HUGE success....and our family survived all of the craziness that goes into putting a show together!   The students put on four AMAZING shows, one of which really tested their team work and ability to think on their feet (mine too).  After three practically flawless shows, I was sure that the Sunday matinee would be a breeze as well.   Boy, was I mistaken!  Our "Lucy" got sick right before the show and even though she persevered through and went on stage, we realized very quickly that she was unable to sing.  That is when the sheer panic set in.......in the back of my mind I kept thinking the old, yet very cliche phrase, the show must go on.  Before I even knew what was happening I was singing all of Lucy's parts and songs from backstage....yeah that's right....me.  The funny part of it all was that I could not see her or the pit orchestra, and at one point she ended running off stage to get sick again, while my voice continued singing over the speakers....whoops.  Talk about a night-mare that I wasn't waking up from.  As crazy as I, and everyone involved in the show thought it was, the audience really didn't seem to notice that much was different....whew!  By the time the second act was ready to begin poor Lucy had gone home, and Miss Mandi (THANK GOD SHE WAS THERE) had reworked the second act giving three very deserving young actresses some much deserved stage time!  When push comes to shove, I am truly amazed at what middle school kids are able to accomplish.  They not only learned a huge lesson in what live theater is all about, but also proved to be wise way beyond their experience!  I am so proud of the cast and crew for making a potentially awful situation into a really wonderful experience that we will always look back on and smile, knowing that they were able to achieve something very special.

Below are some pics of the show and of course of my very favorite Charlie Brown (sorry Devin), or maybe I should call him Linus because no matter what the temperature he seems to love his blankie....  he'll trade pants for a blanket any day!

The Cast

Linus, Lucy, Charlie Brown, Sally, Schroeder, Snoopy


 Who knew Charlie Brown doesn't wear pants?           
Showing us some of his dancin' moves

                                Is the show over already?                            

2 comments:

  1. Kathy, I love it!!!!! Boy, is he cute!!! Love you lots and love working with you and the kids, Fern

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad it was a hit! Your Charlie Brown is so cute!

    ReplyDelete