Pages

Friday, April 9, 2010

Happy Easter!



From the time I was a very small child, I really loved holidays. The diversion from routine was very exciting especially if visitors and most especially if gifts were involved. I used to get so excited, much like most children, to find something special just for me in my under the Christmas tree or in my Easter basket. I didn't understand the nature of the holidays but I did understand that someone paid extra attention to me. As each year passed the way my family celebrated holidays changed. There was rarely a feeling of togetherness (not for lack of trying) and it was even more rare that I was made feel "special". I always thought that when I was an adult and had children of my own I would embrace not only the meaning of the holiday but also make a fond memory for our whole family. As I think about raising my son 'the right way', that is not spoiling him too much, taking the focus off of gift giving...yada yada yada, I wavered for a moment and I thought to myself who am I really doing this for, him or me? Does a one year old really need chocolate or a new toy or even an Easter basket? I was almost swooped back up into the practicality of it all, thinking I will be the logical parent. Thank God, that I didn't. They day was all I could have asked for and more! I realized that not only did I love making a big deal out of the day, but Jackson seemed to love the special things we did too. Here is the story of our Easter...

We were greeted Easter Sunday morning with a beautiful bright and sunny day! Exactly the way Easter should be! We woke up with plenty of time before church to have cinnamon buns and make an easter banner (I taped a big piece of paper to the kitchen floor and Babci, Jack and I tried our hand at coloring easter bunnies, eggs, baskets and crosses). After a lovely (but extremely crowded) mass, we spent the day with Babci, Uncle A.J. and Aunt Maggie and our new doggie cousin Lilly! Zoe was ecstatic! Jackson had a great time opening up his Easter Basket and eating Peeps. He especially loved the donald duck bunny from Babci....which by the way Babci, he can't stop picking it up by the ears! We then headed outside for an egghunt and some playtime. (days later we are still finding plastic eggs outside filled with goldfish crackers, half eaten by ants and soggily swollen that Jackson still think make a perfectly good snack). We then headed to Uncle Dennis and Aunt Betty's for a delicious Easter dinner. The day was special, family filled and.....perfect.






 finding the eggs


Peeps

Yum!


2 comments:

  1. Happy Easter! I have those sandals too! (the jcrew ones).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the video! I forgot how robotic one-year-olds look when they walk! Jackson really got the hang of that Easter egg hunt- pretty impressive.

    By the way, Kathy, I love your skirt!

    ReplyDelete